Water leaks in the bathroom can cause a lot of damage and are not always immediately apparent. The longer you let a water leak go unnoticed, the more damage it can cause to your property and the more costly it can be to repair. Fortunately, there are a few signs that you can look out for to detect a water leak in your bathroom and steps you can take to prevent further damage. And if you detect a leak, call Service Plus Heating, Cooling & Plumbing, and one of our expert plumbers will be there to rescue you.
Here are some signs to watch out for:
- Unusual Smell: If you smell an earthy or musty odor in your bathroom, it may be a sign of a potential water leak. Please don’t ignore this sign, as covering it with air fresheners won’t solve the problem. Instead, try to find the smell’s source, from inside your cabinets to behind your faucet. Once you locate the source, you can call a local plumber to fix the leak.
- Mold or Mildew: Mold and mildew thrive in moist environments, making them common signs of hidden water leaks in your bathroom. Look for mold or mildew in areas such as corners or walls, as these are often indicators of water leakage.
- Damaged Paint or Wallpaper: If you notice blistering paint or water stains on your bathroom walls, there’s likely a hidden water leak. Similarly, if your wallpaper is peeling away, further investigation is crucial.
- Damaged Walls: When the drywall is exposed to moisture, it can become soft and begin to bubble. Over time, it may even warp and break into pieces. If you notice any signs of damaged walls in your bathroom, it’s essential to contact a plumber as soon as possible.
- Wetness in the Cabinet: Finding water or moisture in your bathroom cabinet shows a hidden water leak. This may be caused by something as simple as a loose nut, but it’s important to investigate further to identify the source of the problem.
- Rocking Toilet: If your toilet is rocking, the wax ring that keeps the base and pipe below watertight may be worn. This can cause wastewater to leak onto the floor, leading to more severe plumbing issues.
- Stains on Ceilings: If you notice brown, copper, or dark stains on your bathroom ceiling, there’s likely a water leak in the ceiling. This can cause serious damage to the ceiling and require immediate attention from a plumber.
Call a Skilled Plumber in Indianapolis
If you notice any of the signs mentioned above, it’s essential to schedule your appointment online or call us at (317) 434-2627 and a Service Plus plumber will identify and fix the problem as soon as possible. And check out our coupons page on our website for our current specials. Trying to fix the problem yourself can be dangerous and may even cause more damage. We can help prevent serious damage to your bathroom and help you avoid expensive plumbing issues because we like to make you smile.