There’s almost nothing worse than losing a cherished piece of jewelry. This is especially true if it falls down the drain — a seemingly bottomless pit.
Fortunately, sinks have a P-trap that comes in handy for retrieving lost earrings, necklaces, rings and knickknacks. All you need are tongue and groove pliers a a bucket to collect water! Once you’ve got your supplies ready, follow these steps:
1. Identify the P-trap, and loosen the nuts at each end. Don’t unscrew it all the way just yet.
2. Grab your bucket and set it under the sink. This will ensure the water within your P-trap doesn’t leak once it’s completely unscrewed.
3. Fully remove the P-trap. Water left in the sink will drain into your bucket now.
4. Empty the rest of your P-trap’s contents. (Expect to be a little grossed out — it’ll be filled with some not-so-clean water and debris.) On the bright side, your lost jewelry should be there too!
5. Disinfect with alcohol. Get your lost item nice and clean before wearing it again.
6. Clean out the P-trap before you screw it back in. Make sure you securely tighten it; keep an eye out for any leaks.
If you’re still having trouble locating your lost gems, contact Service Plus Heating, Cooling & Plumbing for assistance. We offer a full range of residential plumbing services, and we are committed to providing professional, honest and convenient service on every job.