Winters in Indianapolis can be brutally cold. At Service Plus, we know how important it is to keep you and your family warm this winter. Even if the power gets knocked out or your furnace breaks down, you should never resort to unsafe methods to keep your home warm. Most people don’t realize just how dangerous it is to use an oven to warm their home.
If you try to heat your home with a gas oven, it can quickly lead to dangerous carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is an odorless and tasteless gas that you won’t be able to tell is in your home until it’s already affecting your health. When used properly, gas ovens are completely safe. But keeping the door open and the oven on for prolonged periods of time to heat a home can be potentially fatal.
Many people think using an electric oven to heat their home is safer than a gas oven. While it’s true that electric ovens do not emit carbon monoxide, they come with their own set of problems. Not only are they inefficient at heating a large space, when left on for long periods they can overheat and malfunction leading to electrical fires. Using an electric oven to heat your house can also shorten the lifespan of your appliance.
If you’re worried about the amount you pay to heat your home during the winter, using an oven will hike up the cost of your energy bills by a considerable amount. An electric oven can use anywhere between 1,500 to 4,000 watts, while a space heater can use as little as 500 watts.
If there’s an emergency and you need to heat your home, you can try safer methods such as space heaters or kerosene heaters. another option is starting a fire there to warm you. To do so, be sure your opening is screened or grated to keep sparks and embers from escaping into your home.
Call a Professional HVAC Company in Indianapolis
Our expert techs at Service Plus are available to repair your furnace and keep your home warm. It’s always smarter to choose a safe method of heating. To prevent your furnace from breaking down, call us at (317) 434-2627 or schedule a furnace tune-up online today!